Rural Ministry Program
The Rural Ministry Program provides advanced theological and ministry studies for men and women who are preparing for life and ministry in rural congregations and communities.
“BSK’s rural program is a dream come true.”
A Vision for Imagining and Sustaining Ministry in Rural Landscapes
Rural places have long been religious places.
Advanced theological and ministry training, however, has too often failed to help ministers imagine smaller, rural congregations as suitable and sustainable placements for ministry. Many seminary students and young ministers have learned much from their time leading rural congregations. Yet it is also true that rural places have too often been a “way stop” for many seminary students and young ministers.
Baptist Seminary of Kentucky hopes to reverse this trend by collaborating with rural congregations and The Berry Center to provide advanced theological and ministry studies in, with, and for rural congregations and their ministers.
Opportunities and Outcomes
- BSK students will experience the joys, challenges, and complexities of rural landscapes.
- BSK students will study with and under those who live and work in rural places.
- Students can develop a deeper imagination for rural life and ministry.
- Students gain placed pastoral leadership experience in rural congregations.
- Students in this course of study engage these opportunities through a combination of coursework on the BSK campus, coursework in a rural setting, guided readings through The Berry Center, and year-long pastoral internships in a particular rural context.
Incentives to apply to the RMP
- Full scholarship for three years of coursework (assumes coursework is completed in 6 semesters).
- Stipend for student during Contextual Ministry internship.
- Covering the cost of students’ books.
- Attendance at related conference.
If you have more questions about the Rural Ministry Program at Baptist Seminary of Kentucky or wish to apply, contact Abby Sizemore, Director of Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 502-863-8301 for more information.